Saturday, March 01, 2008

Are we Better than Myanmar?

Following 2008 elections, it is depressing to note that a parliamentary candidate and (caretaker) deputy minister "happily compared Malaysia’s fifty years of achievement with the sadder state of affairs in Myanmar" (source:Malaysiavotes.com)

Yes, it was Datuk Donald Lim who made this statement. I wished I could ask (and he able to answer me): WHY? HOW?

Are we better off than Myanmar because our Police break up demonstration
by spraying chemical-laced water at the protesters, while the Myanmar army or police shoot "live" bullets? Is it because we need to be thankful that in dissidents in Myanmar are shot (including monks) and their bodies thrown in swaps while we in Malaysian (not even dissidents) are more compassionate and are allowed to live - under ISA?


how lah Datuk? Myanmar children cannot scuba dive, what?

Why-lah Datuk, you must compare with Myanmar? Why not Singapore or Indonesia or Thailand or even Taiwan and benchmark against ourselves and see our country move forward. What are you afraid of? Working hard? Do we need to we compare ourselves with a country whose GDP is below Malaysia's.

It's time you wake up and respect the people who voted you. If you are out of ideas, step down, let someone else who is courageous enough to benchmark ourselves higher and move to that direction. I cannot imagine you speaking for us in Parliament. I imagine we bring you an issue, you tell us its not a problem - Myanmar worse. The boos and the jeers were appropriate, I hope it was loud enough.

When you retire (I hope it will be very soon), I would like to suggest a great place - Timbuktu, its better than Mogadishu (my apologies to my African friends).

Read more at: Malaysiavotes.com or dap-election.com

No comments: