Monday, June 11, 2007

Malaysia, My Root


Last night I caught the Premier of the series "Malaysia, My Root" on ASTRO AEC (Channel 19) by Wong Kew Lit. This series documents the Chinese in Malaysia and how it is assimilating in to Malaysian society. The first in the series, talk about mainly the Peranakan Chinese in Melaka and Kelantan (yes, Kelantan). One interesting thing highlighted was that one of the Masters of the Wayang Kulit is a Peranakan.

There were several other features in the hour-long documentary including several youths who have been observing Thaipusam by participating in the Kavaadi.

I feel this is a very interesting documentary which I recommend everyone to watch. This documentary is special to me as it help me understand my own roots as Chinese as we continue to evolve and change in our Malaysian community. I feel we must understand, appreciate and link history with our lives.

I am definitely excited about the program and will watch the rest of the 12 episodes.


Remember:
ASTRO Channel 19
Time: 7.30 pm
Sundays


No comments: