Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Rethinking Family & Children (2): Being Socially Engaged


Interesting site, do check it out!

One of the things I have been doing very often nowadays is sharing social, political and political discussions with my children. The media gives us a lot of such opportunities. Although they are only 11 & 12 years, I feel these discussions, done without hatred or anger, are being understood and are important for a couple of reasons:

1. It is important to have a point of view (POV). It does not matter it is who is wrong or right, it is important one that we have one. Sometimes our POV may change, but its fine.

2. Speak out for what you believe in. One of the hallmarks of a mature society is to be able to live in freedom to express ourselves -without fear. I believe that the Internal Security Act (ISA) should be abolished. I believe we as parents we should make known to my kids and our stand and they understand why (at least to some extent).

It is also important to articulate that there will be many different views and perspectives to any given subject. Underlining rules of engagement such as respect and justice must be present. One of the key lessons learnt is encapsulated in this phase, "I strongly disagree with your point of view but I will fiercely defend your right to express it"

As a parent why am I doing all this?

Answer: For our children, helping them to think, be creative and appreciate their own skills and potentials. Above all, to help them grow. To do that, we must have a conducive environment.

A summary can be found in a corporate profile of a multinational corporation which states that employees to be truly creative, freedom is most important. This profile states the following "freedoms" which I just realize that I have been applying in our home. They are:

Freedom from Fear Freedom to Fail Freedom to Be

In this country, freedom is a rare commodity. We need to work hard to attain it. We need to be socially-engaged parents.



No comments: