Sunday, March 18, 2007

National Service: Has the Public Judged?


(text of tan Sri Lee Lam Thye's letter reproduced at the bottom of this post)


Dear Tan Sri,

I read the letter written by Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye on the National Service published in the NST on Mar 16, 2007. I have this thought that spring into my mind "the public has judged and the verdict it........."

Confidence level is really at rock bottom with regards to National Services - besides the usual knee-jerk reaction, the is still NO CLEAR AND CONCLUSIVE ACTION PLAN.

Politicians and politicians-wanna-be have each given non-coordinated, unrelated responses saying a lot but nothing at all. One said that medical screening will be done before entering camp. I ask: How will it be done? What are the procedures? What kind of medical test will be conducted? What will we be looking for? If a medical condition is detected how will the camp manage it? What will be the precautions? Who will be at the camp monitoring such cases? What will be his of her qualification? What is the process in the event of an emergency?

On the matter of hygiene, what is being done at the camps that had the canteen closed for observing the lowest level of hygiene? We heard that the canteen was closed - that's all. What's the action plan to ensure the problem is not repeated? What will be the continuous monitoring processes?

Most importantly, who is responsible and who is accountable? Can you tell us? Too many questions, too few answers.

There is too much (useless) information out there - not enough knowledge. If, I may suggest Tan Sri, fix the communication and build confidence in us parents again. Be clear, resolved and one-mind to address the problems.

One suggestion is to put up in the National Service website CLEAR action plans, target completions, milestones and let us see them. Give us parents that transparency. Provide feedback columns for us to share our thoughts and feedback and suggestions. Our children's lives are ours as well - It's time to involve the parents!

For those who do not have access to the internet, have such information to the press to be published verbatim. Say, do and show!

Give us the confidence that things are being done. Not mere "press conference fixes" when everything is forgotten after the nice press conference food has been digested. There is no necessity as well to put a spin in the local media - showing happy faces. I think it is really time to go beyond them.

With all due respect Tan Sri, we know you are doing your best. However, I feel you need to do more and involve more people to help you. I support the National Service Program. However, the way it is conducted, the manner problems are managed (or mismanaged), the lack of transparency of the activities during the camp give the noble ideas a very bad name.

Tan Sri, I firmly believe you are the position to drive change in the management of the program, give us that confidence. Demonstrate that as Chairman you can drive transparency and re-instill confidence in the program. The public is the judge, I think the jury is still out, there is time to change for the better.

K V Soon

Source: http://www.nst.com.my

National Service: Let the public be the judge
By TAN SRI LEE LAM THYE, Chairman National Service Training Council

18 March, 2007

I WISH to clarify a number of matters pertaining to my role as the chairman of the National Service Training Council. I am making this statement in the wake of a number of comments taking me to task for any failure or untoward incidents involving NS trainees. One letter sent to me even stated that I must be made "solely responsible and accountable for any death" in an NS training camp. The writer questioned whether I had a conscience and alleged that for the sake of my "rice bowl" I had not spoken out.

Another fax from overseas, questioned whether I had the courage to admit that National Service was a failure and that it should be scrapped.

All this makes me wonder whether I deserve these criticisms, considering that I do not have executive powers and that the implementation of the entire programme rests with the director-general of the NS Training Department under the purview of the Ministry of Defence.

I do not propose to reply to all these unjustified criticisms against me. I leave it to all rational-minded Malay- sians to judge whether such criticisms are justified.

The NS Training Council performs a number of duties under the National Service Training Act 2003. These include advising the minister on all matters related to NS training.

When I accepted the appointment as chairman of the NS Training Council in July 2005, I was fully aware of its difficulties and challenges. I accepted the appointment for three reasons:
First, I regarded it as another call for national service as I have been doing national service for the past 40 years.

Second, I believe NS training is a noble programme which will benefit our youth in terms of, among other things, character-building and making them more patriotic.

Third, as chairman, though non-executive, I felt I would be in a position to convey the problems and concerns of the trainees, parents and others and help to make suggestions and policy changes for improvement.

This is precisely what I have been doing. I have always brought to the attention of the director-general and the department the grievances of the trainees and other suggestions to improve the programme.

I have never failed to take up issues concerning the welfare of the trainees and the improvement of the NS programme. These issues are also brought up at all council meetings. When decisions are made, it is the department that implements them, not the council, which is only an advisory body.

Although my position is not a full time job, I go to the office almost daily to provide feedback to the department and offer advice to them.
Let me state clearly that I have no pecuniary interests in the NS programme other than a monthly allowance which I am entitled to as chairman.

I realise that as chairman of the NS Training Council, I am seen as the "face" of the National Service. This is because in carrying out my duties, I have been active, constantly promoting the National Service and obliging the media for comments when necessary.

My level of commitment to the National Service is a reflection of my passion for the NS programme and within the confines of the role and functions of the council, I have done my utmost best. And I have always acted according to my conscience.

No comments: