Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Kids Going to University in Malaysia?

This is a very big struggle for me. Should I prepare my kids for Malaysian universities for for foreign one? Some say the decision would be decided by my pockets....other might feel that it would be a matter of the quality of the university.


So, how did the the recent THEE Ranking of University Malaysia (UM) and University Sains Malaysia (USM) affect us a parents. Reading through the paper everyday I noticed that everyone from politicians to academicians have lots to say - more oftenly than not, they contradict each other - like clowns running everywhere in the circus. I am not not concern about the the politicians and bureaucrats think. However, due credit should be given to academicians who provide a much broader perspective and depth to the issue. I particularly like the article by Azmi Shahrom's "How to Judge a Good University" published in the SUN. Azmi recognizes the weaknesses as well as the strength of UM and USM.


I personally think there is just too much talk and no action - no clear acceptance and acknowledgement of the problem by the relevent authorities and department , almost everyone is trying to explain and come up with "shoot from the hip solution". With the exception of our Prime Minister acknowledging the issue - everyone else seems to be more interested to explain. Until to day, no clear goals, activities, timeframe and deliverables have been announced. No one seems to be looking at the problem from the holistic standpoint. Is anyone interested in improving the ranking of our universities again?

The VC of MU is one person who seems to "happy" as the individual rankings were good while the USM's VC was appoint consultants.

I guess I will be taking my time to decide if my kids will go to UM or USM - I have another 10 years or so. Hopefully, within that time someone will wake up and be really bold to challenge the norm and make improvements to our universities.


K V

No comments: