Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Wonderful Sound of "Papa"

Just last week my son, Arian finally...... called "papa". It is was a joy to hear that. Of course, it took a lot of work. You got to take him for car rides (let him drive, for that matter), go bonding, doing some "male" stuff. All in all it took him 15 months to call "papa", with a very strong Beijing tune.

What is interesting is that from the time he could call me, he became closer to me. More willing to be closer to me and got me to just do things or play with him. I find this an important period my son and I are going through. And this is most important to spend enough time with him.

Well what happens next - better train him to "mama" - finally succeeded this week! So little Arian is been going around calling "papa" and "mama".

The next challenge is to get him to call "jie jie" (sister). He is starting to do it although his pronunciation is still not so clear, but is is getting there.It was a joy the first time over 9 years ago when Amrita called "papa". It was joy over 8 years ago when Samanta did the same.

It is a very powerful affirmation of biological and emotional ties between a parents and children. It is also a strong yet gentle reminder of our responsibilities as parents to positively nurture our children. Just as important, is to see strong ties grow to keep the family together.
(l-r, Samanta, Amrita and Arian)

No comments: