Sunday, January 18, 2015

Thoughts on Chinese Culture Appreciation


I was having breakfast yesterday when I was approached by a couple of young people in red uniform soliciting donations for and event, "9th National Secondary School Chinese Language Society Camp" organized by the Chinese Language Society of Universiti Malaya.

I had a little conversation with them (not exact words, but trying to share the essence of our discussion)


M: What is this event all about? (before I read the document)

Y: We hope to promote the appreciation of Chinese language and culture.

M: Who are your audience?

Y: (Chinese) Secondary school students

M: What's the medium of instruction?

Y: Chinese

M: What about Chinese students who do not speak or understand Chinese?

Y: ....... (No answer)

M: Don't you think that Chinese who could not speak or understand Chinese needs this appreciation just as much, if not, more?

Y: ....... (No answer)

M: Why do students who have spent at least 6 years in a Chinese educational environment needs appreciation of the Chinese language and culture?

Y: ....... (No answer)

At this point I requested for reading materials. I got the marketing proposal - in English. I noticed that had both languages of the marketing proposal.


I may have spoken to the people who did not know much about the camp in details but I learnt a couple of things:

a. Chinese education with all their emphasis of language and culture, have apparently failed to drive some appreciation in the culture.

b. The organizers, which reflect (in my observation and opinion) does not seems to be concerned or look at the cultural issues of non-Chinese speaking Chinese, enforcing a divide already in existence.

c. With little consideration for inclusiveness within an ethnic group, how will there be inclusiveness in a greater Malaysian society (not to mention, global community)?

In would love to be proven wrong, it would be good if people can answer and respond.

We need this discourse, I believe.



No comments: