Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Malaysia Lost the GOLD Medal

I must congratulate Chong Wei for reaching the finals of the Olympics Badminton Men's Singles. The did a commendable job getting there - conceding only one set. We really deserve the silver medal, Malaysia's first Olympic medal in 12 years!

However, after watching the finals and played out, I felt frustration and disbelieved. It took Lin Dan just 30 minutes to capture the gold medal. Chong Wei could not match Lin Dan who was backed by home ground advantage. I was disappointed not because we did not get the gold, but in the manner we lost it.

Chong Wei did not display any commitment to win. He did not display the hunger he had shown en route to the finals. I felt the did not even play creatively. I got a sense that winning the silver was good enough. There was no fire in his Chong Wei's eyes. This match would have been the match any player would die to be in, and to show his best skills and talents. Although we did not win the gold but I had expected a tough fight. Instead, he went down without a fight - this was most disappointing!


where was this face of hunger and determination on Aug 18?


I just wished there was better fight and some glory in defeat.

Alas, it was not the case, we just gave away the gold.


Random Thoughts

No comments: