Sunday, August 14, 2005

Seeing through the haze.....


The haze that has engulfed our city over the past couple of days has caused undue stress and worry for me and I guess for many parents as well. Although it seems that the situation is not too bad right now, I was affected in some ways and felt very uncomfortable with my chest giving occasional pain. Had to finally put on a mask. I later found out, the brother-in-law had the same problem.

(our haze fighting machine)

What concerned me most was the effect on my family and children. After having heard a news report that asthma and breathing illness increased 150%, it worried me. I was calling back home almost every hour checking on my family and kids. My eldest daughter is potentially asthmatic and my one-year old son falls into the high risk category. Thank goodness they are fine. We tried all sort of stuff. My wife borrowed an air filter from her brother. We also told that "steaming" our rooms helped reduce the effects of the haze in our homes, which we did. I did it at my office as well. I think it worked. You should try it too.

While I was worried about the potential effect of the haze, I felt pretty helpless that there is nothing we can do about it. The thought that we cannot control things is pretty enhumbling, make one feels small and insignificant. Not sure how to deal with this yet but, right now living day by day through this hazy without any problems is top priority.

How did you deal with the haze situation?

K V

No comments: