Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Converstion with my 11 month old Son


How can one have a conversation with a child who cannot yet speak? It is interesting to understand and appreciate the fact that children do understand and can respond if we focus our minds and attention to them - there is always something they are trying to say. There is also something I am trying say to my 11 month old son. I am trying to reach to him and acknowledge each other.



Over the last weekend, my wife decided to impart her wisdom and reminded me that, in order to connect with this little boy I will have to do things with him. I will need to get to the stuff he enjoys and make that connection. And last weekend I did just that. Spend as much time as I could to play and connect with him. Of course, the the key element is focus and committment to it.

When I finally did, I was overjoyed with the connection I got. I felt he was speaking to me, he was telling what he likes to do, how to do it and I am responding. I also expressed to him some of the things I did and how to do it - such as praying. He responded by gesturing my hands in the way I taught him

Over the years, as my older daughters grew up and got into more speech communication, I lost the non-verbal communication capability. Now my son is teaching me (again) the importance of this level of communication.

Until the time he blabbers away - I shall remain in this communications state, and enjoying it.

No comments: